The primary mission of the Tompkinsville Police Department is to coordinate with other law enforcement agencies within Monroe County and their efforts within the community to preserve the public peace, protect the rights of persons and property, prevent crime, and generally provide assistance to citizens in urgent situations. The Tompkinsville Police Department is responsible for the service of legal process and orders of the court, enforcement of Federal Laws, and Kentucky Revised Statutes within the boundaries of Tompkinsville.
The Tompkinsville Police Department must enforce the law in a fair and impartial manner, recognizing both the statutory and judicial limitations of police department's authority and the constitutional rights of all persons. It is not the role of the office to legislate, render legal judgments, or punish.
1. Human Life:
We value life and dignity above all else. Therefore:
- We give first priority to situations that threaten life.
- We use force only when necessary.
- We treat all persons with courtesy and respect.
- We are compassionate and caring.
We believe integrity is the basic of community trust. Therefore:
- We are honest and truthful.
- We are consistent in our beliefs and actions.
- We hold ourselves to high standards of moral and ethical conduct.
- We are role models for the community.
We strive for personal and professional excellence. Therefore:
- We do our best.
- We seek adequate resources in staffing, facilities, equipment, training, salaries, and benefits.
- We recruit and hire the best people.
- We are receptive to new ideas, to change.
- We meet state recognized law enforcement standards.
- We lead by example.
- We work toward realistic, and mutually agreed upon goals.
We believe that cooperation and teamwork will enable us to combine our diverse backgrounds, skills and styles to achieve common goals. Therefore:
- We work as a team.
- We strive to understand those who disagree with us.
- We seek the help and cooperation of others.
- We seek to resolve conflicts.
- We rely on community support and involvement.
- We share our responsibilities to serve the citizens of Tompkinsville with many other agencies and organizations.