Prior to the incorporation of McDonald into a village, police at the Carnegie Steel plant served as police officers in the village as well. Following the incorporation in 1918, the first Village Council approved the creation of a police department on March 6, 1919. At that time, a marshall was elected to serve as head of the police department. Village Council and the Mayor appointed the marshall as sergeant of the department and in effect he was the chief of police.
Edgar Deiwert was elected the first marshall in February 1919 and served through 1921. Robert Boyd was elected in 1921 and served as marshall from 1922 through 1925 when Emory Johnson took over and served a marshall through 1933. John S. Evans Sr. served from 1934 through 1939 until Harold "Mutt" Walls was elected in 1939. In 1940, the position became an appointive position instead of an elected position. Mayor James Ague appointed Walls as McDonalds first chief of police. Walls served until being place on disability leave from June 1948 to June 1949 when he was reinstated.Walls filed for disability leave again in December 1949 and it was granted. Harper Rudge was named probationary chief and served as acting chief until he resigned in September 1955. A letter from Walls announcing his resignation was received in September and Bill Cartright was appointed as chief of police in November 1955. He served in the position until his death on August 17, 1974.
Paul Schriner was appointed police chief in August 1974 and served until his resignation on March 13, 1978. John Golubic was appointed to the post and retired on February 28, 1985. Jimmy Tyree was appointed on March 1, 1985 and retired in 1998. Daniel Leskovac was appointed to the position in 1998 and retired in February 2001. Alan Deluga was appointed February 2001 and held the position until his untimely death in June of 2002. Lou M. Ronghi was appointed by Village Council and the Mayor on June 15, 2002, as the villages 7th police chief.
McDonald Village which is labeled as "Ohio's Finest Village", is 1.4 square miles and has a population of 3480. The village borders Niles, Girard, and Weathersfield.
The police department has a detective division, drug division, O.P.T.C certified Firearm Instructor, and two commissioned U.S. Marshals to help serve Federal warrants in the Trumbull and Mahoning County areas. The police department is also a participant with the Trumbull County D.U.I. Task Force.
Finger printing for Village residents
Home security checks for residents
4 Marked Chevy Impalas Average miles on vehicles 55,000
1 unmarked Chevy Lumina
4 Radar units
2 Incar Mobile Vision Cameras
1 Mobile Data Terminal